Experimentation Meets Platforms: A Survey of macro trends in mobile communication research and its impact on future testbed development
“Softwarization” is often referred to as a general paradigm shift in telecom architecture from “boxes” to “functions”, and from “protocols” to “APIs”. This has profound impact on research testbed platform architecture and its components. The panel begins with exploration of such fundamental advances at all layers and by delving into investigations of the research infrastructures suitable for hosting at-scale experimentation in future mobile architectures, services, and applications, and use of such infrastructures for experimental research using practical examples. The distillation of the lessons learned above are laid out as requirements for future at-scale platforms.
The panelists represent a global view of efforts underway to implement platforms for experimenting on 5G and Beyond Technologies across radio, network and compute to be built on top of convergent RF/network/IT infrastructure to provide well defined abstractions and modularity to end users (eg. researchers, developers and testers).
Questions to Explore
1. What are the key wireless challenges for the future
2. Regarding these challenges, where could a test platform better support the discovery process
3. How can we best balance very advanced test platforms for core wireless technologies and more integrated verticals (service driven) platforms
4. Data management and security plan, how to get started?
5. Reproducability and Repeatability of research. Is it a must?
6. Discussion of Sustainability of the platforms
- Abhimanyu Gosain, Northeastern University
- Serge Fdida, Sorbonne University
- Ivan Seskar, Rutgers University, USA
- Edward Knightly, Rice University, USA
- David Schruig, University of Utah, USA
- Raymond Knopp, Eurecom, France
- Orange Labs, France
More info: http://infocom2019.ieee-infocom.org